Ammonium nitrate

Home \ Products \ Nitrogen fertilizers \ Ammonium nitrate

Ammonium nitrate (NH4 NO3) is a highly soluble & highly concentrated fertilizer. It’s contains 34.4% of nitrogen. Ammonium nitrate for agriculture is available in the form of granules of spherical shape. It has high hygroscopicity. Ammonium nitrate ranks first positions in agriculture fertilization programs and takes up to 55-60% of the Ukrainian market.

Ammonium nitrate belongs to the type of mineral fertilizers without which modern agriculture is practically inconceivable. Main advantages of the ammonium nitrate, that keep the positions of it on the market stable, are the following: belonging to the family of nitrogen fertilizers, the versatility of application, the possibility of industrial production and supply, the proven technology of production.

This fertilizer produced as follows: nitrogen is bound to hydrogen, as a result of the reaction, ammonia is formed; ammonia is subsequently oxidized to nitric acid and if ammonia is combined with nitric acid an ammonium nitrate is obtained, i. e. ammonium nitrate. Such agrochemistry will contain nitrogen in two forms that is ammonium and nitrate (17% ammonium and 17% nitrate nitrogen from the total amount of 34% nitrogen).

Ammonium nitrate is a colorless hygroscopic crystalline substance that dissolves in water easily (with a strong temperature drop in solution). This product is also explosive.

The popularity of ammonium nitrate is explained by its versatility as this fertilizer is widely used in agriculture for any crops and for all types of soils. It is used both as a main nitrogen fertilizer and as a basic pre-sowing fertilizer.

Item Parameter
Total mass fraction of nitrate and ammonium nitrogen in terms of nitrogen in dry substance, %, not less 34,5
Mass fraction of water, %, not more 0,30
pH of 10% aqueous solution, not less 6,1
Particle size distribution, mass fraction of granules of from 1 to 4 mm, %, not less than




granules of size from 2 to 4 mm, %, not less than 90
mass fraction of granules smaller than 1 mm, %, not more 1
residue on sieve 6 mm, % non
Static strength of granules, N/granule (kg/granule), not less 8 (0,8)
Friability, %, not less 100

Ammonium nitrate was especially popular among those farmers who cultivate such crops as wheat and rye.

The recommended dosage is as follows:
• as a top dressing – 100-150 kg per hectare;
• as the main fertilizer – 300 kg per hectare.

It is also introduced as the main fertilizer in spring and autumn, under plowing, together with other fertilizers. In the event that the soil is light, then ammonium nitrate is applied before sowing under cultivation. If soil is acidic, buffered it is applied constantly. Fractional applying of ammonium nitrate allows to significantly reduce losses as a result of leaching of nitrate nitrogen.

Ammonium nitrate is used not only separately, but also in mixtures with phosphorus and potassium fertilizers. In this case it should be noted that they must be mixed just before application to the soil.

The main advantages of using ammonium nitrate:
– Regulates the growth of vegetative mass
– Increases protein and gluten content in grain
– Raises the level of crop yields